Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Remembrance....

Hi!

30 September 2006 ... another friend of mine bade farewell to this beautiful life. Bam, as we used to call her had been a fighter for many years but on that fateful day, she finally succumbed... al-fatehah ... may God bless her soul and may she now rests in peace ... amin.

What is sadder was the fact that Bam didn't 'leave' due to the breast cancer that she was suffering from, instead due to a severe fungal infection caused by the chemo-port that was implanted in her body almost 2 years ago! ... Yup! A fungal colony was found at the end of the plastic tube of the chemo-port!! My goodness!! How could this happened..? Didn't the doctor warn of such a threat?

Oh well... let us ponder...

CANCER - the big 'C'! The much dreaded disease! A 'Death Sentence' to many! The fear of many a human being!

... Almost five years ago, my own sister was a victim of breast cancer and sadly, she too succumbed to it! By the time I knew, she was already in Stage Four! Frankly, I was unprepared for the vision of the extent the illness had done to her body! I went into a mental trauma and had recurring nightmares! Eventhough I didn't know much about cancer then, I however knew that as a sibling I too stand a high risk of contracting it!

I couldn't sympathise with my sister more! My heart went to her! I wanted to help heal her but... I didn't know what to do!I felt helpless! I let the doctors decide! But ... worse still, my own fear was paralysing! I tried to read as much as I could on the subject! I wanted to understand the illness! I wanted to help find a cure for my sister! Most of all, I wanted to pacify my own fears!!

Thank God during this emotional turmoil of mine, I struck friendship with a kind soul who provided solace and comfort to my own troubled mind! This kind soul whom I call Khad, is a lady who had also lost her mum and younger sister to cancer! Amongst other things, Khad advised me to undergo an 'emotional cleansing' therapy and to take up Qi-Gong. I did both and that was when a whole 'new vista' gradually opened up for me! 'I could see the light at the end of the tunnel...'! I became less afraid...

0 comments: